Increase business process visibility of approvals in Sage 300
- Track and progress approvals
- Manage alerts and Exceptions
- Increase auditability on business processes
- Promote business process visibility and transparency
- More effective use of emails
- Facilitate collaboration among Sage 300 users
- Link to cloud-based collaboration tools
- Manager customer and vendor returns process with RMA
Design workflows in Sage 300 to cater for many common business scenarios
Use Extender Configurator to build workflow steps using a range of pre-defined Actions. Upgrade to Extender Developer to design custom actions using Python. Add Remote Action service to progress workflows from outside Sage 300. To manage customer returns, consider Returns Material Authorizations and its workflow features.
Workflow Templates are attached to Sage 300 view fields or view operations. They can work with Sage 300 Masterfile, Transaction or Batch views.
Like most Orchid modules, Extender Workflow will work not just with Sage 300 core modules, but also with any 3rd Party module that has been developed using the Sage 300 SDK
- A workflow instance is created for each running workflow.
- A user assigned to a workflow instance can progress it to the next step using the Workflow Console.
- A series of value-dependent Workflow Actions (Python scripts) is executed when each workflow step is invoked. We have developed a range of pre-defined Actions, sufficient to support workflows for many standard business scenarios.
Progress Extender Workflow
Workflows can be started Automatically when a Sage 300 event occurs.
Active workflow instances can be viewed and actioned (e.g. Approve or Reject) using the Workflow Console, or via screen icons. This requires a named workflow user licence.
Named workflow users can also start a workflow manually using icons on Sage 300 screens.
Learn more about workflow users →
Use Extender Developer edition to develop your own custom actions using Python
- Develop custom Workflow Actions using Python
- Incorporate Custom View/Table data into Workflow Actions
- Use workflow status in custom business processes
Learn more about Extender Developer →
Remote Action Service
Progress an Extender workflow without needing to be logged in to Sage 300
- Easy to use, works from any internet-connected device
- No software for Workflow Users to install, all they need is email and a browser
- Secure, with no open firewall ports to Sage 300
- Builds on the powerful Extender Workflow capabilities
Learn more →
Manage Returns workflow
Use Return Material Authorization to manage returns and enforce consistent workflow
- Use RMA to enforce approval before a credit note can be generated
- Customers can be kept fully informed of progress and status from a single source of information
- Track returns status and internal workflow stage
Learn more about RMA →
Extender Workflow Use Case Examples
There is virtually no limit to the business processes that can be implemented and automated using Extender Workflow - particularly once you start developing your own Custom Actions. To start you thinking, here are a few sample use cases, which we have also developed into Tutorials and Workflow Sample Templates.
Using Extender Configurator
A/R Credit Limit Approvals
Automatically start a workflow when the Credit Limit field is updated. Restore the original limit pending approval. Assign to different teams or individuals for approval, dependent upon the requested new limit.
Set a Customer On-Hold, and email the Salesperson:
A workflow is manually started by the A/R team, using a screen icon. The customer is placed on hold, and their primary salesperson is notified by email. Two different users need to approve sequentially before the customer can be taken off hold.
Retail O/E Order Approvals
Automatically start a workflow when a new O/E Order is inserted for a retail customer. The order is placed on hold, and a customer service manager is notified by email. A user in Accounts must approve the order to have it taken off hold, or reject the order and provide a reason. The person who originally entered the order is notified of the outcome by email.
Approve A/P Payment batches
Automatically start a workflow when the A/P Payment Batch status is updated in Sage 300. "Ready to Post" batches are reset to "Open" until the request is approved.
A workflow is manually started by the Purchasing team in order to send alerts about certain Vendors to Operations. They can choose to either 'send and forget' an email, or wait for confirmation that Operations have seen the notification on the Workflow Console.
I/C Option Notification
Automatically start a workflow when the Serial Number Expiry Number of Days is changed in I/C Options. A user must acknowledge receipt of the notification in order to complete the workflow.
Use custom actions with Extender Developer
Using Workflow status
- Approve EFT File Creation: Develop a custom script to validate that batches are approved before users can create EFT Files
- Approve an invoice before a Credit Note can be created
- Approve a shipment before creating a sales invoice
Custom actions for O/E Order approvals
For validation and business process:
- Custom credit limit checks by sales area when creating an OE Order
- Check for a “returned receipt” as part of credit limit checking
- Require approval if some lines have a low margin
Integration with non Sage 300 tools
Integration with collaboration tools (e.g. Slack, MS Teams, Twitter, Twilio) when starting or progressing a workflow for Sales Orders and Purchase Orders